Friday 18 November 2011

Vegetable crisps

Ingredients
Sweet potato, carrot, beetroot, parsnip, olive oil
Preparation: 20 minutes

I'm not much of a crisp person - I tend to only eat them if I've made dips and need something to scoop up the gloriousness with, and since I discovered Fudge's I've been straying from what I call "posh crisps" (Kettle chips) and been using their nummy flatbreads instead. Now that it's autumn I'm very into flame coloured foods and root vegetables in particular and these vegetable crisps just make me feel like a kid kicking through crunchy leaves in wellingtons.

1) It's entirely up to you whether you peel the vegetables or not. I'm not a big fan of carrot or parsnip peel but I love potato peel so as you can see, mine are a mixture. You do need to peel the beetroot...
To get those thin, ribbons I use the potato peeler to peel the vegetables into strips. You could use a mandolin slicer if you wish but for best effect - go for the peeler.


2) Pat the vegetables dry with some kitchen roll, tedious I know but it really does make all the difference.

3) Either brush the strips with olive oil or pour a little in a bowl and toss them until coated and arrange them on a baking tray.

4) Bake in the oven for 5 - 10 minutes at 200 degrees. Carrot and beetroot will only need 5 minutes but the potatoes and parsnips will need 10.

5) Serve! These are fabulous as croutons in soup or to scoop up some dip. Some suggestions are: cheese & chive, Wensleydale & cranberry, Basil dip, roast pepper & goats cheese, spinach dip, rose tzatziki, avocado tzatziki, aioli, baked camembert, basil hummus and hummus.

Everything Goes With Toast   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP