1 cup polenta, vegetable stock, jalepenos, chilli flakes, coriander, butter, cheddar
Polenta is a marvellous alternative to potato, for those who cannot eat them - or just fancy a change! I have posted a recipe previously for polenta French fries, which I think are absolutely heavenly - but these chunky, spicy chips are equally gorgeous. Polenta doesn't fluff up exactly like a potato, but it does remain soft in the centre and crispy on the outside which is all one can ask for!
1) Measure out the polenta into a milk pan, and slowly add the vegetable stock until you achieve a porridge like consistency.
2) Finely dice the jalapeños and add to the polenta. Grate in a little cheddar, then add chilli flakes and finely chopped coriander. Make it as spicy as you like - personally if my mouth isn't smoking, it's not hot enough for me but you should cook according to your own taste.
3) Spoon the polenta mixture onto a baking tray or into a square baking dish and smooth with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
4) Turn out the solid polenta block and slice into sections to make your chips.
5) Shallow fry in a tablespoon of butter, turning regularly until a golden crust is formed, then serve hot.