225g self raising flour, 50g butter, 50g muscovado sugar, 75ml buttermilk, 2 bananas, pinch cinnamon.
Serves: 8 preparation: 30 minutes
I adore the flavour and scent of banana - so sweet and musky and mildly tropical. These scones have a wonderful texture and it's a good way to introduce flavour for those who don't like dried fruit.
1) First peel and pulverise the bananas in a blender, or by mashing with a fork.
2) Sift the flour, cinnamon and sugar together, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3) Mix the buttermilk and banana in with the dry ingredients until a dough has formed.
4) Roll out the dough on a floured surface and then fold it in half and roll again. Cut out rounds of pastry with a scalloped cutter and brush with the last drizzles of the milk to help the surface colour.
5) Bake at 200 degrees for 10-12 minutes.