Sunday 17 February 2013

Lavender marshmallow scones


Ingredients

225g self raising flour, 50g
butter, 50g sugar, 150ml milk, 1 tbsp lavender. To make the marshmallow: 5 sheets gelatine, 225g caster sugar, 100ml water, lavender, 2 large egg whites, icing sugar and cornflour for dusting 

Serves: 10 Preparation: 30 minutes (plus 1 hour 30 minutes for marshmallows)

The last time I made marshmallow, I swore to myself that I would actually bake with it instead of eating it all out of the tray in an orgy of sugary fluffy glory. Well it's important to test that every part of it is perfectly made you see... *looks guilty*
Because I love to make scones and lavender scones in particular, it struck me that combining my lavender marshmallows with my lavender scone recipe would be seriously cool. It was indeed - but you can always just buy the marshmallows if you don't have the patience to make them. I tested my first batch of dough with mini marshmallows that I use for hot chocolate to check they wouldn't just caramelise in the oven - thankfully they left beautiful gooey pockets in the dough. Success!


1) First infuse the milk with the lavender by setting it to steep for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then strain away the lavender.

2) Sift the flour and sugar together, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

3) Mix the milk and marshmallows in with the dry ingredients until a dough has formed. It's best to work scones with cool hands so if yours are warm, run them under the cold tap first (and dry them) before working it.

4) Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and then fold it in half and roll again. Cut out rounds of pastry with a scalloped cutter and brush with a little milk to help the surface colour.

5) Bake at 200 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Everything Goes With Toast   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP