Friday 1 February 2013

Cauliflower mash



Ingredients

1 cauliflower, 100g mature cheddar,
1 tsp butter 

Serves: 4 Preparation: 30 minutes


It's no secret that I love mashed potato. It's my go-to comfort food, the thing I crave when I'm ill, and a dish that I'll never get bored of. Whether I make it creamy, cheesy, piquant with mustard, garlic, apple or lemon, add herbs or olives or spinach or sauteed leeks... it never lets me down. So the day I decided to sex up the humble cauliflower by turning it into mash was a risky day indeed. It had big big boots to fill. I'm pleased to say though, that it turned out divinely - so much so that my husband just ate an entire mashed cauliflower to himself. Amazing.


1) Remove the leaves and slice the stem of the cauliflower right down to the base, leaving a star shaped core.
Cut the florets from the cauliflower and add to a pan of hot salted water and simmer for 18 minutes.

2) Strain the cauliflower and add to a blender along with the grated cheddar and butter. Pulse until thoroughly pureed.

3) Season and serve hot. This also works well duchess potato style (pipe the cauliflower puree into a swirl and then bake in the oven for 6 or 7 minutes at 200 degrees)

Everything Goes With Toast   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP