225g self raising flour, 50g plain
flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp garlic salt, 1/2 tsp mustard, 100g grated cheddar, 1/4
finely chopped leek, 6 tsp vegetable
oil, 150g Rachel's Organic greek yoghurt, 125ml milk, 1 egg.
I am a total soup junkie and forever creating different flavours of breads to dunk in, or different textures and flavours to use as croutons. I have even been known to fill Hula-Hoops with cream cheese and float them on my soup. Mmmm melty goodness. Recently I have taken to making mini-muffins for soup and this is the first in what will be a series of my favourite mini-muffin crouton recipes.
1) Sift together the self raising flour, plain flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
2) Grate your cheese and finely chop the leek and stir into the flour.
3) Whisk together 1 egg with the mustard, milk and vegetable oil and stir into the flour mixture.
4) Stir in the yoghurt but do not make the mixture too smooth - it needs to be a bit lumpy for the muffins to rise and have those lovely fluffy bubbles of air inside.
5) Spoon into the mini muffin cases and bake at 220 degrees for 7-10 minutes (until they mushroom from the cases and become golden brown).
6) Allow to cool and pop them out of the cases and float on your soup.