225g self raising flour, 50g plain
flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 6 tsp vegetable oil, 150g Rachel's Organic greek yoghurt, 125ml lemon juice, 1 egg, 1 tbsp poppy seeds, 2 tbsp icing sugar.
I am a total soup junkie and forever creating different flavours of breads to dunk in, or different textures and flavours to use as croutons. I have even been known to fill Hula-Hoops with cream cheese and float them on my soup. Mmmm melty goodness. With parsnip soup, I like to make these lemon and poppyseed mini-muffins to float on the top but they're gorgeous just as they are too.
1) Sift together the self raising flour, plain flour, baking powder, icing sugar and baking soda.
2) Whisk together 1 egg with the milk, lemon juice and vegetable oil and stir into the flour mixture. Add the poppy seeds.
4) Stir in the yoghurt but do not make the mixture too smooth - it needs to be a bit lumpy for the muffins to rise and have those lovely fluffy bubbles of air inside.
5) Spoon into the mini muffin cases and bake at 220 degrees for 7-10 minutes (until they mushroom from the cases and become golden brown).
6) Allow to cool and pop them out of the cases and float on your soup.