Ingredients225g self raising flour, 50g plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 150g Rachel's Organic greek yoghurt, 125ml milk, 1 egg, basil, basil oil, lemon, garlic, pine nuts, parmigiano.
I am a total soup junkie and forever creating different flavours of breads to dunk in, or different textures and flavours to use as croutons. I have even been known to fill Hula-Hoops with cream cheese and float them on my soup. Mmmm melty goodness. These mini muffins are a great way to use up leftover pesto .
1) To make the pesto - add a good handful of fresh basil leaves to a mortar bowl and grind to a fine pulp. Sautee 1 crushed clove of garlic in basil oil and add to the mortar bowl along with a pinch of salt and a handful of pine nuts. Grind thoroughly, adding lemon juice, basil oil and parmeggian to taste.
2) Sift together the self raising flour, plain flour, baking powder and baking soda.
3) Whisk together 1 egg with the milk and 6 tsps pesto and stir into the flour mixture.
4) Stir in the yoghurt but do not make the mixture too smooth - it needs to be a bit lumpy for the muffins to rise and have those lovely fluffy bubbles of air inside.
5) Spoon into the mini muffin cases and bake at 220 degrees for 7-10 minutes (until they mushroom from the cases and become golden brown).
6) Allow to cool and pop them out of the cases and float on your soup.