3/4 cup butter (127g), 2 ripe
bananas, 3 cups plain flour (681g), 1
1/12 tsp baking soda, 2 cups sugar
(454g), 3 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla
essence, 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (339g), walnuts.
1) Sift the flour and baking powder with a pinch of salt and set aside
2) Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence together and beat in the eggs one at a time
3) Whisk in the flour a cup at a time, alternating with the buttermilk
4) Mash the ripe bananas and whisk into the rest, stirring a handful of finely chopped walnuts at the last minute
5) Pour into a cake tin (this quantity fills one large cake tin or 2 loaf tins) and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean. Put immediately into the freezer for 10 minutes - this will stop the steam from rising and make the cake incredibly moist.
6) Once cool, cream equal parts of icing sugar, butter and cream cheese together and slather onto the top. I had some leftover caramel from making my caramel apple pie so I swirled that over too!