White cabbage, carrot, beetroot, eggs, mayonnaise: 4 eggs, lemon juice/white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, 1 pint vegetable oil
1) To make the mayonnaise: separate 4 egg yolks from the whites (discard the whites) and put in a large clean bowl to whisk (or use the whisk attachment on your blender if you have one). Add the lemon juice/vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk thoroughly, adding the oil ONE DROP at a time until the mayonnaise is thick and glossy. You don't have to use all the oil - I like it quite thick but if it's too thick you can always add a little warm water to thin it back down again.
2) Wash the beetroot and slice off the stalks and leaves. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Carefully peel the beetroot with the nick of a knife, then once it's cool slice into matchsticks.
3) Peel the carrot and slice it into matchsticks (I cut it in half, then into slices, then slice the slices into individual matchsticks.
4) Slice 3 cabbage leaves into fine strips about the length of the carrot matchsticks.
5) Stir mayonnaise into the carrot, beetroot and cabbage with a spatula and serve!