3 apples, sultanas, bread, butter, sugar, double cream, 3 eggs, milk, vanilla essence.
1) Remove the crusts from 3 slices of bread and cut one of them in half. Press the bread with your hand or a rolling pin and then butter one side of each.
2) Press the first piece butter side down into your oven-proof pudding bowl, line the two half pieces butter side out around the edges, ensuring that they are pressed into the base enough for them to form a seal for the filling. Set aside the final piece.
3) Peel and dice 3 apples. Using a warm tablespoon, put a layer of caramel into the bottom of the bread case. Add apples and sultanas then continue to layer with apples and sultanas and more caramel. Add the last piece of bread butter side up and ensure it's pressed firmly against the edges.
4) Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
5) To make the custard, simmer 200ml milk with a teaspoon of vanilla essence on a low heat. Add 20g caster sugar and whisk through. Add 3 egg yolks and continue to whisk on a low heat until the custard is thick enough to coat a spoon.